Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Learning Curve

Today was day 2 for Logan at his new MDO. When I picked him up, he was sitting with his classmates on the rug listening to a story. He saw me and started gathering his things. One of his teachers touched my arm and wanted to tell me that there was a note in his folder and that he didn't get a sticker. Apparently he threw a piece of wood or wood chips in the direction of a couple teachers and then later threw a cracker across the table at lunch. His teachers talked to him and he apologized but he had to move his pin to red...which means no sticker. Now, as a former teacher, I take this really hard. Probably harder than I should...I'm pretty sure I hold him to a much higher standard than is even appropriate, but I can't help it. I do not want my kid to be "that kid." Of course we discussed it on the way home and he apologized and promised to get a sticker on Thursday. I asked him if he was happy he had to move his pin to red. He said "Yeah, I feel happy!" So I don't know that he fully understands what it means to move your pin yet. I explained it to him and told him that if he has to move his pin, then Mommy would not be happy. He typically is very sensitive to my reactions/emotions toward him, so I am hoping that will stay in the back of his mind. Is that too harsh for a 4-year-old?

Once that discussion was over, he proceeded to sing a "Days of the Week" song and then ran up to me and said "Mommy, I can spell red! R-D-E, red. That spells red. Fire trucks, stop signs are red!" So cute. I helped him with the correct spelling and we sang it a couple more times. He also told me he went to a secret playground where he got sand in his shoes and also went to Chapel and Spanish...but he made sure to tell me that he doesn't have to say the words if he doesn't want to. He also brought home some "B" pages that he traced and was able to tell me several "B" words.

So day 2 had it's good parts and bad. I am hoping Thursday is much better for him and I hope that I can get used to him having the occasional bad day. I think I am so used to teaching K-2 students (some who had some pretty severe behavior problems), that I forget that he is only 4 and needs to be disciplined differently. One bad day does not equal a bad kid. I know this. I guess I am just scared that I haven't done my job as a mom if he acts out at school, even though I know it is perfectly normal. He is learning, just as I am learning. We'll get there. Eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment