Monday, February 14, 2011

Pre-K Already?

Besides trying to get pregnant and deal with everything that comes along with all that, my other worry has been about Logan going to Pre-K. I can't even believe it. I don't even want to say that word. But I also don't want to think about him turning 4 either. Every year I am in denial about him becoming one year older but this year it's really hard because I know after Pre-K is Kindergarten. I get sad just thinking about that. Anyway, back to the subject at hand...

Logan is in a MDO this year 2 days/week and loves it. Between his former in-home sitter and this MDO, Logan is doing awesome. He knows his letters, some sounds, he can count to 20 (most days) and can recognize up into the teens, he can write his name, and is attempting to figure out the whole rhyming words thing. He is smarter than I can even handle some days. I am not trying to brag but he floors me sometimes with the things he notices and says (echolocation, anyone??). I have to remind myself he's only 3 sometimes.

My worry for next year is that I want to find a Pre-K program that will really challenge him. Some of the ones I have looked at (only online, haven't done any visits yet) talk about how they learn their letters and how to write their name and recognize numbers. He already does that stuff and then some. I honestly don't know if he is advanced (again, so not bragging) or if I am just not looking at the right places. If I am paying money for him to go somewhere, I don't want it to be boring for him or just playtime. Now, of course, I don't want it to be strictly academic either. I want him to have fun and enjoy being there but I want him to be learning. I know all too well what will be expected of him in Kindergarten and I want him to be prepared. I am thinking 3 days/week just to work his way up to the 5 days/week it will be for Kindergarten. I also want parental involvement to be encouraged and I plan on being involved. That's one of the main reasons I decided to start staying home in the first place.

So I'll be making some phone calls this week and setting up tours I am sure. Hopefully it will ease my anxiety some. I know Logan will do great wherever he goes but I just want him to get a great foundation and develop a love of learning so school will not be something he dreads. At least not until high school, that's just a given.

Seriously, when did this happen??

5 months old
3 years old

No comments:

Post a Comment