Friday, January 21, 2011

Nana's Chicken and Dumplings

My grandmother (Nana) makes the BEST chicken and dumplings (I'm probably biased, though). I asked her for the recipe years ago and she said she didn't have it written down, she just does it. I bought the stuff she told me to buy and she came over one day and showed me how to make it. Not that it was hard, but she couldn't even think about how to tell me to make it because she just *does* it without thinking. It was easier for her to show me. And now I have it down without a recipe, but I'm going to write it here just in case I ever lose my mind (or if any of you want it).

Nana's Chicken and Dumplings
Makes one large pot/dutch oven full

2 large chicken breasts
chicken broth
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 cans cream of chicken soup (I use the Healthy Request/low sodium kind on both of the cream soups)
Bisquick
Milk
Salt & pepper

Boil the chicken breasts. When cooked, pour out about 1-2 cups of water and shred the chicken and put back in the pot. Add some chicken broth, probably about 2 cups (it is harder to write this down than I thought, I just do it without thinking now). Stir in the soups and add some salt and pepper. Let cook on medium for about 15 minutes (needs to be boiling). While that is cooking, make the Bisquick dumplings according to the box directions (I think it's 2 c. bisquick and 2/3 c. milk). Roll the dumplings into balls and place them on top of the boiling soup. Let cook uncovered for 10 minutes then cover and cook 10 more minutes (do not stir). Add more salt and pepper if needed. Serve immediately, but the leftovers are awesome as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment