Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A Pool and a Pie

I wish we had a pool, or at least easy/free access to one. That's one compromise I made when we bought this house that I am wishing I hadn't. At the time, Logan was not a big fan of swimming but now he would spend the entire day in a pool, I think. He is swimming (actually underwater) in small 3 foot spurts (although he wants to go further--it still makes me nervous). Keller Pointe is only a couple miles from us but expensive and usually crowded. He'd be happy with just a pool to play with his toys in. Our next house will definitely have to either have a pool (not my first choice due to maintenance) or have one in the community--I will not compromise on that next time since he loves the water so much. And it wouldn't be so bad for me either on these ridiculously hot days. We may be looking to move in the spring, so next summer we may have our wish!

Now, the pie. I have been wanting a chocolate pie the past couple days and tonight Logan and Chris were out of the house (swimming) so I had my chance. Since I had a decent amount of time, I decided to make a pie from scratch instead of doing the boxed pudding kind. It's very good, but rich. It's supposedly the chocolate icebox pie recipe from Luby's. The recipe is copied from grouprecipes

**My Notes**

Chocolate Icebox Pie From Lubys

* Time 135 minutes
* Serves 8

Ingredients

* 2-1/2 cups milk divided **I used skim milk**
* 1-1/3 cups sugar
* 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
* 1 Tablespoon butter or margarine
* 7 Tablespoons cornstarch
* 6 Tablespoons water
* 3 egg yolks, extra-large **I only had large eggs, still used 3**
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1 cup miniature marshmallows
* 1 pie shell, 9-inch baked **I had ALOT of filling, almost could have made 2 smaller (8-inch) pies**
* whipped cream, sweetened for topping
* chocolate curls or shavings for garnish

How to make it

* Combine 2 cups milk, sugar, cocoa, and butter in a medium-size saucepan. **Use a larger saucepan--my 2 quart was not big enough once everything was added in**
* Bring just to a boil over medium heat.
* In a medium-sized bowl, completely dissolve cornstarch in water.
* Stir in remaining 1/2 cup milk.
* Whisk in egg yolks and vanilla until well-blended.
* Gradually add egg yolk mixture to mixture in saucepan, stirring constantly with wire whisk.
* Cook, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes or until mixture is thickened and smooth.
* Add marshmallows and stir until they melt and mixture is smooth.
* Pour into pie shell.
* Press plastic wrap directly onto filling.
* Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
* Remove plastic wrap.
* Top with whipped cream and garnish with chocolate curls.
* Note: Pressing plastic wrap directly onto hot pie filling prevents a tough, "skin" from forming as pie cools. Use a potato peeler to make decorative chocolate curls or shavings from a chocolate candy bar.

So good, but the whipped cream was almost too much since the pie was already rich. I need to start getting some cravings for healthier food--cookies and pie are doing me no good.

No comments:

Post a Comment