Saturday, July 17, 2010

BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies!

So last night I was home ALONE--as in no Logan, no Chris. And I had no clue what to do with myself. My sister was working and this "alone time" happened so last minute I had no time to make other plans. And no money to go shopping. Bad timing, but I digress. It was a nice night alone. In the quiet.

So as I was watching TV/playing on the laptop (that I am borrowing from my dad--love this thing, even if it is old it's better than sitting in the office with no TV or comfy couch) I decided cookies (mainly cookie dough) sounded excellent. But I didn't want to make the normal back of the bag recipe for chocolate chip cookies. I googled "best chocolate chip recipe" and this recipe was one of the first ones. I looked at some other links but they were either too complicated or had some extra ingredients that I didn't. This one had the typical ingredients, just in different amounts than normal. The actual link has pictures, etc. but here's the recipe (copied from Savory Sweet Life):

**My Notes**

Alice’s Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes approx. 45-48 cookies using a sm-med 2tbl. cookie scoop

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, softened **I only had unsalted**

1/2 cup sugar

1 1/2 cup packed brown sugar

2 eggs

2 tsp. vanilla extract

3 cups (12 oz) all-purpose flour *If at all possible, please weigh the flour **I did not do this**

1 tsp. smallish-medium coarse sea salt *please do not use table salt, the sea salt gives the cookies a nice flavor and hints of texture. If you only have table salt, use 1/2 tsp. *When using sea salt, you will get small crunchy flecks of salt when you bite into the cookie. If you do not like this taste, go with 1/2 teaspoon of table salt.

1 tsp. baking soda

1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

2 cups/16 oz of semi-sweet chocolate chips *I use Nestle Toll-House **I used Target brand**

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 360 degrees. Cream butter, sugar, and brown sugar until it is nice and fluffy (approx. 5 minutes on medium speed on a K-5). Add both eggs and vanilla and beat for an additional 2 minutes. Add baking soda, baking powder, salt, and flour until cookie batter is fully incorporated. Finally add chocolate chips until well distributed. The cookie batter should be somewhat thick. Drop about 2 tablespoons of dough or use a medium cookie scoop and plop the batter onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper **I did not use parchment paper**. Bake for 12-14 minutes until the edges are nice and golden brown **mine were done in 11 minutes**. Remove from heat and allow the cookies to stay on the cookie sheet for an additional 2 minutes. Pick up the parchment paper with the cookies still on top and transfer to a cool non-porous surface. Allow the cookies to cool on the paper for at least 3 minutes before serving. Enjoy!

*Troubleshooting*

-If you’re cookies are coming out flat and not like the pictures there are probably 3 reasons for this.

#1) Baking powder and Baking soda is old. If your baking powder and soda is older than 1 year and has not been in a sealed (preferably air tight) container, it has lost some of it rising qualities.

#2) Creaming. It is not enough to just cream the butter and sugars until it has come together. This recipe requires you to beat it with a mixer for at least 5 minutes until the texture of the butter and sugar turns to light and fluffy-just like the picture.

#3) Flour. Flour should be weighed. This can make or break the recipe because just scooping flour into a measuring cup will never yield ideal or consistent results.

SO GOOD! Seriously. Crunchy (a little) on the outside, chewy on the inside. And they came out looking like no other chocolate chip cookie I've ever made. They just look better. I'm eating one (or three) right now. Yum. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment