Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Dining Room Hutch Re-Do

I am onto my 3rd Annie Sloan project (if you count the school desk)! I couldn't wait to get started and my awesome aunt and uncle agreed to take Logan for the weekend so I could devote more time to it. Chris and I enjoyed a much-needed dinner date, followed by a trip to Lowe's (I know--romantic), and ending with hardware removal and applying the first coat of paint.
This was the hutch before. I had a vision. It looks a little country but I loved that it wasn't huge and had lots of storage. And I got it for $80. Bonus.


This is the hutch top after a couple coats and a coat of Minwax Finishing Paste. I used Annie Sloan French Linen, which is a grayish-beige color. I was really nervous about it at first because after the first coat it looked white, which wasn't what I wanted. But one thing I have learned about this paint is patience. It always looks different after it dries (which is super fast) or in better light (duh).


 And the doors. These things were a bit of a beating. The paint just didn't want to cover everywhere and spots just kept popping up. Oh, and I gave up on taping off the glass but I shouldn't have. The paint comes off easily if you wipe it immediately, which I didn't do. So we had to scrape it off after everything was said and done. Not a mistake I will make again. Until next time when I am too lazy to do it.


The finished product! It is hard to tell in pictures but I did use the dark wax in some spots (with the Annie Sloan brush--which I highly recommend, or at least a brush of some sort...it was so much easier than a rag!). I spray painted the original hardware Oil Rubbed Bronze. I plan on covering the back panel in a coordinating fabric so it will make more of a statement. I will post a picture when I get that done...I am still in the decision-making process right now.

I am VERY happy with it. I can't wait to fill it with my white china (from our wedding that I don't think we have ever used) and some serving pieces. And I am not gonna lie, the bottom cabinets are probably going to house my ever-growing Annie Sloan paint collection since you aren't supposed to store them in the garage due to the heat (at least here in TX). 

Now I am on the search for my next piece to re-do!

No comments:

Post a Comment