Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Hand Me Down School Desk Re-Do

My aunt gave me an old school desk for Logan a few years ago. Really cute, only it was pink. Logan didn't seem to mind and it just went by the wayside. I had planned to paint it but hadn't gotten around to it until my new furniture painting obsession began. At the Haven conference I got a sample pot of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Louis Blue so my sister and I decided to paint it that color. She had won some dark wax at the conference but we didn't have any clear wax. We weren't sure if it was absolutely necessary or not, and all the stores that carry ASCP were closed today since it was a holiday, so we went to Lowe's and bought Minwax Paste Finishing Wax in Natural.




There was really no need to sand anything down since it was metal so we were able to get started quickly. We used our Purdy paintbrushes we got in our swag bags from the conference and did 2 coats of the Louis Blue and used most of the sample pot. We even watered it down a little to make it go a little further. Not sure if I thought it would go further than that or if we just used too much but I wasn't planning on using that color on anything else, so it was okay.


It went really fast. They paint dries really quickly so we were able to get the 2 coats on within about 30-45 minutes total. Then we did the Minwax Finishing Wax using old cloth diapers. After that dried (which was quick) we used the Annie Sloan Dark Wax. What a difference between those two! The Minwax was only about $5 and the Annie Sloan goes for about $27 I think, but man, that AS wax is soft (hence the name Soft Wax-duh) and goes on like buttah. The Minwax was hard and took more elbow grease for sure. And the AS wax goes a really long way with a tiny amount, so it is probably worth it to splurge, in my opinion.


All in all, it took us about an hour start to finish and my first Annie Sloan project is done! It will go in Logan's room, which will also be getting new bookshelves and a painted Craigslist dresser (see previous post).


The pink desk in all it's glory!




 After the 1st coat






   ALL DONE!!!


Logan likes it much better now!

I am very excited about how the first project came out! Now I am ready to experiment with my new furniture pieces! Can't wait to go get some more ASCP (hopefully this weekend!).








No comments:

Post a Comment