Tuesday, March 13, 2012

IUI #2

I went in for my day 12 sonogram on Saturday to check the status of my follicles. I was very hopeful since last month I had 3-4 follicles. This time, ONE. And even that one was hard to find. I have a stupid left ovary that likes to hide. There were several small ones, but the doctor said they wouldn't mature enough. There could have been more mature follicles in my left ovary, but since we couldn't really see the whole thing, it was hard to tell. Nevertheless, we scheduled the IUI for Monday afternoon. I was told to trigger Sunday morning. Of course, I went home all depressed. Last month, I had 4 follicles and it didn't work. Why would it work this month with only one? I know--it only takes one. But still. The chances go down.


So we go in Monday afternoon and the first thing the doctor says is "Well, your sperm is excellent!" Last month, the count was 5 million (they like anything over 3 million). This month, 52 million! So maybe his super sperm will attack my one follicle and make it happen. The IUI itself was way easier than last month. It was quick and relatively painless, completely opposite from last month. Dr. Haas said my cervix was being much more cooperative and less defensive. Thank heavens...I was dreading the pain again.


After the procedure was done, I had to lay there with my butt elevated for 15 minutes to help gravity along. Last month, the song 'Bust A Move' came on during this time and we thought it was hilarious, so we were paying attention to what played this time...Heart's 'Alone' (I love Heart!!) and 'Whip It.' Very strange music for a doctor's office, but it brings some comedic relief during an awkward and anxious time.


I am trying to remain positive and remind myself that it does only take one. Everything else has gone well this month...pain free IUI, excellent sperm count, maybe that's enough to make up for one measly follicle. Now begins the dreaded 2 week wait...again. I am going to try my hardest to keep my mind off of it and not analyze everything. I mean, there's nothing I can do about it and obsessing doesn't help. So hopefully a positive attitude and attempting to relax about it will help. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. crossing fingers and sending more prayers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. try to relax! I'm saying prayers for you guys!

    ReplyDelete