Wednesday, July 27, 2011

New Recipes (thanks to Pinterest)

My sister invited me to join Pinterest a few months ago but I had no idea what it was or why it was as cool as she was claiming it was. Everyone kept saying it was a ginormously wonderful time suck and I just didn't get it--until now. I have found and "pinned" everything from things for the classroom to things for our next house or next baby and a LOT of recipes. I have tried 3 in the past week. All are keepers. There are a ton more I haven't gotten to, including an embarrassing amount of sweets and desserts that I can't wait to try (even though I shouldn't).

The first one I tried was Weight Watchers Taco Casserole. I thought it was good, Chris thought it needed more spice, and Logan, well, Logan wouldn't touch it but he won't touch many casseroles unless forced, especially if there's meat involved. I used ground meat instead of ground chicken because that's what I had on hand.

A couple nights later I tried Grilled Balsamic-Garlic Crusted Pork Tenderloin. I didn't grill it because Chris wasn't home and I don't trust myself around a grill. I also only did one pork tenderloin (it calls for 2, but since it's just 3 of us that's way too much) so I cut the recipe in half. It was very good, even Logan ate 6 small chunks, which is way out of his character. Typically he'll eat one or two because we make him try it but he ate everything I put on his plate without an argument. There may or may not have been a popsicle promised afterward. Either way, he ate it so it's definitely a keeper.

Tonight I made Weight Watchers Bruschetta Chicken Bake. I made the whole recipe, but put them in two dishes--one to freeze and one to cook tonight. BTW, I love that trick. I used to make an entire 13x9 casserole and poor Chris would be eating leftovers for a week or more (or it would get thrown out). Now, I just split it up so we have meals in the freezer. Works wonderfully. It was very good, Chris really seemed to enjoy this one. Next time I'll probably add more cheese on top right before it's done cooking but it definitely is just a personal preference. Also, the recipe didn't specify a temperature so I did 30 minutes at 350 degrees and the chicken wasn't quite cooked so I upped it to 400 degrees for 10 more minutes and it was done. So next time I'll do 400 for 30 minutes and it should be fine.

Next up to try:
Dreamsicle Shiver
Crock Pot Brown Sugar and Balsamic Glazed Pork Loin
Lemon Chicken
S'mores Candy Bars or S'mores Cookies or S'mores Pie (can you tell I love s'mores??)
Key Lime Cheesecake Bars (yum!)
and I would love to try these Homemade Goldfish Crackers for Logan

These won't get done in the next week by any means (I've got to stretch my grocery budget over the whole month!) but I can't wait to try them. If you are not on Pinterest, you should be. It's trouble. Leave your email address and I'll send you an invite.

No comments:

Post a Comment