Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Benjamin Anthony is Here!

We had to be at the hospital at 5 am on Wednesday, June 19, 2013 for my scheduled c-section at 6:30 am. Needless to say, not much sleep was had the night before (maybe 3 hours). 

Here I am right before leaving for the hospital that morning (39 weeks).

We got to the hospital and after a LONG walk to the L&D unit, we were put into triage and prepped for surgery. We headed back to the OR around 6:50 am, Chris was brought back with me around 7:05 am, and Benjamin was born at 7:26 am. So much better than laboring for 12 hours and then having an emergency c-section. 

I was so emotional seeing him for the first time. He was so cute from the start, blood and everything. His face was just adorable. We have waited so long for this child that I was (and still am) in awe of him. I don't want him out of my sight and rarely want to put him down. 

My first view of him...I think the first words out of my mouth were "He is so cute!"

7 lbs, 6 oz. 19 1/2 inches long

First picture with Mommy & Daddy

So in love

The best thing about this c-section as compared to Logan's birth was that Benjamin got to come to recovery with me. With Logan, he was taken to the nursery for his testing, bath, etc. Chris had to divide his time between me in recovery and Logan in the nursery. I didn't see Logan for almost 3 hours after birth.

This time, Benjamin stayed with me. We got skin to skin as soon as we got to recovery. They offer skin to skin in the OR now as well, but because I was a little sick from the anesthesia, they said I needed to wait until recovery in case I got sick again. They did all the testing with us right there in recovery and his first bath. I didn't have to miss anything this time!

Skin to skin time--it was amazing

An hour or two later we were wheeled back to my room where Logan joined us so we could introduce him to his brother alone. It was a moment I have waited for for a long time. It did not disappoint. He was so excited.

Big brother Logan holding Benjamin for the first time     

Logan, Benjamin, & Daddy

Our first picture as a family of four
It was such a great experience. We had lots of visitors that first day and I stayed at the hospital until Saturday around lunchtime. Benjamin was with me the whole time except for when he had to go get checked by the pediatrician. I was up and walking a little in the afternoon the same day he was born and showering and walking the halls by the next day. There was so much less pain this time around!

Now that we are home, things are going smoothly. Logan is still in awe of him and Benjamin is such an easy baby so far. More updates on that later!

No comments:

Post a Comment